6 Tips from MS in Data Science Students from Top US Universities
I’m really worried about the cost of studying abroad.
I’m a bit concerned about the course structure and curriculum.
Another thing that worries me is finding a job after graduation.
If that sounds like you, you’re in the right place!
Moving to another country for your studies is undeniably a huge step.
As experts in guiding students on their study abroad journey, we understand your concerns and are here to help.
That’s why we’ve gathered tips for Data Science students from alumni and current students.
Here’s a glimpse of what they have to say:
- Select a university with a strong curriculum and supportive faculty
- Find on-campus jobs for financial independence
- Participate in project-based programs to improve job prospects
- Take advantage of the interdisciplinary coursework to broaden job prospects.
- Build a strong portfolio during the study program.
1. Select a university with a strong curriculum and supportive faculty.
Source: Jay Sorathiya
“From starting as a Chemical Engineering student who had to learn programming from scratch to eventually building advanced ML applications and working with distributed systems on cloud, my journey has been incredibly rewarding,” shares Jay Sorathiya, an MS in Data Science graduate from Ying Wu College of Computing (NJIT).
“NJIT’s amazing curriculum and teaching played a significant role in shaping me into a Data Professional. I will be forever grateful for my time at New Jersey Institute of Technology’s Ying Wu College of Computing,” emphasizes Jay.
- Tips from MS in Data Science Students at NJIT recommend choosing between computational, and statistics tracks to suit your interests.
- Learn to create, implement, and assess advanced statistical models for difficult business issues.
- Benefit from experienced faculty in computer science and math. It will ensure well-rounded guidance for a successful career.
2. Find on-campus jobs for financial independence.
Source: Krisha Sha
Krisha Sha, an MS in Data Science student, says, “Within a span of two weeks, I started my part-time job as a Teaching Assistant (MS Grader for Software Engineering) at NJIT. This was one of the smallest yet most proud moments of my journey so far.”
- Joining NJIT’s work-study programs will help you manage the costs and make your study abroad journey more affordable.
- Explore various on-campus job roles. Consider becoming a teaching assistant, programmer, web developer, help-desk consultant, or game-room desk attendant.
- On-campus jobs help to build essential skills and boost your resume during your studies.
3. Participate in project-based programs to improve job prospects.
Source: Rosemarie D
“I greatly enjoyed the GQP, which connected me with a company and a project that allowed me to interact and develop. The project work helped me grow my skills in a corporate environment while still in school,” says Rosemarie D, an MS in Data Science graduate from Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- By participating in WPI’s project-based approach, you’ll tackle real-world problems. It will help you impress potential employers with your problem-solving skills.
- It gives you the opportunity to land potential jobs in the future.
- It provides you a platform to work with faculties, collaborate in teams and showcase your data science abilities.
4. Take advantage of the interdisciplinary coursework to broaden job prospects.
Source: Yang Tao
“During my course of study, I could choose different classes like AI, machine learning, big data, and business intelligence. Each course benefited me during my job hunting, as I talked about my projects in the different courses to match different roles and job descriptions,” Yang Tao shares university-specific Data Science advice from Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- Tips from MS in Data Science Students emphasize the flexibility to customize your coursework and projects at WPI.
- Learn advanced topics like visual analytics, machine learning, statistics, and big data management based on your passion. It will help to develop a skill to branch out into different industries.
- It will make you an attractive candidate in the job market, broadening your possibilities.
5. Build a strong portfolio during the study program
Source: Daina Boquin
“Having a portfolio of your work is really important, especially if you want to have some authority on an issue. You want to be able to show someone and demonstrate, ‘Look, I have done this before.'”, shares Daina Boquin, a Data Science graduate at The City University of New York.
Data Science Graduate Testimonials like Daina’s emphasize the value of building a strong portfolio during your studies.
- Tips from MS in Data Science students highlight the importance of gaining skills. It will make you competent in the job market.
- Working on hands-on projects and collaborations helps you build a strong portfolio.
- Learn from dedicated faculty who are using open-source best-practice tools. It will help you meet higher employer demands.
Do you want to get in touch with more alumni? We are here to help.
With these insider tips in hand, you’re ready to unlock your data science potential!
If you want more resources, here is some further reading: