Day in the life of an MS in Accounting student: 10 highlights
Starting your MS in Accounting journey is thrilling. It helps to know what to expect.
University of Maryland Student Association
In this article, we’ll show you what university life is like for accounting students at two great schools:
- Miami Herbert Business School (MHBS)
- University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP)
Why these two?
Because they have awesome accounting programs. And they offer students a fantastic mix of learning, support, connections, and fun campus life. By using them as examples, we hope to paint a picture of what you might find at similar universities.
Before we dive in, here’s an overview of what we’ll cover:
- Best places to eat on campus
- Lectures you’re expected to attend
- Research facilities located on the campus
- Networking events for career growth
- Faculty support
- Student clubs
- Extracurricular activities
- Daily and weekly events
- On-campus resources
- Surrounding areas
Now, let’s dive into the fun stuff!
1. Campus Eateries
Before your classes start, it’s always a great idea to get some coffee. Grab a coffee or a quick breakfast on the MHBS campus, at Einstein Bros. Bagels, or Subway.
And as for UMCP, you can check out cafes like Rudy’s or Footnotes.
Once you’re done with breakfast, your classes begin.
As an MS in accounting student at MHBS or UMCP, you will attend lectures in cost management, federal taxation, auditing, and much more.
3. Research Facilities
During the day, you can check out MHBS’s and UMCP’s amazing research facilities.
Some facilities include:
- The Center for Health Sector Management and Policy at MHBS: This center supports research on healthcare management and policy issues and provides educational opportunities for students and healthcare professionals.
- The Maryland Cybersecurity Center: This center supports research on cybersecurity issues and provides educational opportunities for students and professionals in the field.
4. Networking Events for Career Growth
Here are some networking events among many others:
- Career Connect: Carried out by MHBS, this event takes place to help students polish resumes, build personal brands, learn to build a target company list, practice virtual interviewing, and much more.
- Career Fairs at UMCP: This event brings together accounting firms and corporations from around the country to recruit students for internships and full-time positions.
- University Clubs at MHBS: These include the Economics Club, American Marketing Association, Entrepreneurship Club, and many more.
5. Faculty Support
Your day as an MS in Accounting student will involve meeting with your professors to get additional help with coursework.
Get to know the staff at both universities at MHBS and UMCP.
6. Student Clubs
While the above networking events are a great way to collaborate with prospective employers, these student clubs are also a nice way to foster a sense of belonging.
- Terps Racing: It’s a student-run organization that designs, builds, and races formula-style race cars.
- Club Sports: UMCP offers over 40 club sports, including soccer, basketball, and ultimate frisbee.
7. Leisure & Extracurricular Activities On Campus
As an MS in Accounting student at UMCP, don’t miss out on the following:
- The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center: The Center hosts a range of music, theater, and dance performances throughout the year. It provides an excellent opportunity for students to experience the arts on campus.
- Maryland Dairy: The Maryland Dairy is a campus ice cream shop that serves delicious ice cream. It’s a popular spot for students to grab a sweet treat and hang out with friends.
- The Stamp Student Union: The Student Union is a hub of activities on campus, with restaurants and cafes. It’s a great place for students to relax and socialize between classes.
- The Arboretum: The Arboretum is a 1,250-acre green space on campus with walking and biking trails, gardens, and natural areas. It provides a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of campus life.
Similarly, as an MS in Accounting student at Miami Herbert Business School, you can enjoy the following:
- The Frost School of Music: The Frost School of Music offers a range of concerts and performances throughout the year. It allows students to experience live music on campus.
- The Lowe Art Museum: The Lowe Museum is an on-campus art museum that features a collection of over 19,000 works of art from around the world. It’s a great place for students to explore and appreciate art.
- The Herbert Wellness Center: The Wellness Center is a state-of-the-art fitness center that offers a range of exercise classes, workout equipment, and personal training services. It’s a popular spot for students.
- The University Center: The University Center has restaurants, a pool, and cafes. It’s a great place for students to relax and socialize between classes.
8. Daily & Weekly Events
Both universities have structured event calendars in place. You can find out what’s happening on that particular day and go for it!
Find the event calendar of UMCP here, and of MHBS here.
9. On-Campus Resources
- Financial Assistance: MHBS provides financial assistance to students for their medical needs.
- Business Library: MHBS’s library offers a wide range of business-related resources, including books, journals, databases, and research guides.
- Counselling Center: UMCP’s Counselling Center offers a range of services, including individual counselling, group therapy, and crisis intervention.
- Study Abroad: UMCP offers study abroad programs to help students gain international business experience and broaden their perspectives.
10. Surrounding Areas
If you need a change of space, you could head out to any of these places near Miami Herbert School of Business:
- South Beach: South Beach is a popular tourist destination located about 20 minutes from the Miami Herbert School of Business. Students can enjoy the beach, restaurants, shopping, and nightlife in this vibrant neighbourhood.
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens: Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a historic mansion and museum located about 15 minutes from the Miami Herbert School of Business. Students can explore the gardens, architecture, and art collections at this beautiful estate.
- Wynwood Walls: Wynwood Walls is an outdoor street art museum located about 15 minutes from the Miami Herbert School of Business. Students can view colourful and creative murals painted by local and international artists.
And if you’re a student at the University of Maryland, College Park, you can spend time at these places close to your university:
- The National Arboretum: The National Arboretum is a 446-acre botanical garden located about 7 miles from the University of Maryland, College Park. Students can explore gardens, forests, and collections of plants and trees from around the world.
- College Park Aviation Museum: The College Park Aviation Museum is located on the University of Maryland campus and features exhibits on the history of aviation and the role of College Park in the development of flight.
- Washington D.C.: Located about 10 miles from the University of Maryland, it houses several museums, monuments, and landmarks such as the National Mall, the Smithsonian Institution, and the White House.
Hope this helped.