India To Canada Indirect Flight Routes For Students
Due to the high number of cases due to Covid-19 and the increase in the spread of the Delta variant, many countries have restricted direct flights from India. One such country, which is a very popular study abroad destination for Indian students, is Canada. Canada has imposed its travel ban on Indian flights, first, on April 22nd. Recently, for the fifth time, the ban has been extended from August 21 to September 21. This has proved to be an obstacle for students who are Canada-bound. However, indirect flights from India to Canada are accepted with certain conditions.
In this article, we look at the different indirect flights from India to Canada along with their respective pros and cons so you can choose what’s best for you.
Here’s what the official statements say:
- “…Passengers who travel to Canada from India via an indirect route will need to obtain a pre-departure negative COVID-19 molecular test result from a third country before continuing their journey to Canada,” says Transport Canada’s website.
- If you’ve previously tested positive for COVID-19, you must show proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test conducted between 14 and 90 days before departure, instead of a negative COVID-19 molecular test.
“This proof must be obtained in a third country before the continuation of the journey to Canada,” Transport Canada advised. “You might need to seek entry and stay in a third country for at least 14 days.”
India To Canada Via Qatar
Doha, the capital of Qatar is known for its exquisite and modern architecture and has become the first preference of travelers who wish to avail indirect flights from India to Canada.
- Availability of direct flights.
- Less travel time.
- 10 days quarantine is compulsory.
- Important to be vaccinated by the recognised vaccines by MOPH (2 doses of CoviShield and a gap of 14 days after the 2nd dose).
Things To Keep In Mind
- Authorized travelers who present a valid international certificate for full vaccination against Covid 19, with the use of an approved vaccine, will undergo antibody testing on arrival. Those testing negative will be exempt from the 10-day quarantine requirement.
- Those testing positive will be required to undergo PCR testing and are not exempt from the quarantine requirement.
- Approval from the Ehteraz app is required to be taken within 72 – 12 hours of travel; if only 12 hours are left, then they approve only in special cases.
- It usually takes about 12 – 24 to get the RTPCR report in Doha.
- Here is the official Quarantine Accommodation Reservation form.
India To Canada Via Albania
It’s pretty safe to travel around Albania. The country is very welcoming to travelers. Use it as a stopover to board indirect flights from India to Canada.
- Hotel availability is never an issue.
- As of now, a vaccination certificate is not required to travel.
- Good flight connections from Albania to Canada.
- It does not come under Air Bubble and so, a return ticket is not required.
- An expensive travel option.
- Flight availability can be a challenge.
India To Canada Via Maldives
The Maldives is an amazing exotic island, perfect for holiday destinations and ever since the Maldives has opened its doors for Indians, it has once again started to get popular among travelers seeking indirect flights from India to Canada.
- Fully vaccinated visitors with approved vaccination certificates do not need to quarantine.
- India and Maldives share ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and commercial links and enjoy close, cordial and multi-dimensional relations.
- On-Arrival visa Processing.
- Limited resort options opened for South Asians in the Maldives.
- Expensive flight connections from the Maldives to Canada.
Things To Keep In Mind
- A return ticket to India is required as it comes under the Air Bubble agreement.
- Imuga Form is to be filled before you enter the Maldives.
- Check resorts that are approved for quarantine in the Maldives.
- All travellers are required to present a negative result of the nucleic acid test (PCR) taken 72 hours before departure
India To Canada Via Mexico
Since May, Canada via Mexico has been the most tested route and has been a blessing in disguise to travellers wanting to go to Canada from India.
- The route has been tested by 1000s of passengers to Canada.
- Hotel availabilities is not an issue.
- A vaccination certificate is not required.
- It does not come under Air bubble so a return ticket is not required.
- Travellers from India are not required to quarantine after entering Mexico.
- Flights are very expensive.
- An increase in Covid cases is a concern.
Things To Keep In Mind
- Keep at least 24-48 hours for Covid testing.
- A health declaration form is to be presented upon arrival.
*This information is subject to change. Please check the relevant government websites.
How To Choose A Route That's Best For You?
You can have the following points in mind while choosing a particular route from India to Canada. Choose a country/route where:
- Visa processing doesn’t take much time.
- The results of RT-PCR are obtained quickly.
- The number of Covid cases is less or in a gradual decline.
- Number of travellers are less as a higher number of travellers results in an increase in ticket prices.
Flight tickets’ prices can be very expensive on some of these routes and to help students get a better rate, we have additional services called GradOns.
This includes services like accommodations, flight tickets at cheaper rates, US bank accounts, Canada GIC Account, Forex services, debit cards and credit cards.
Click on GradOns below to get started and hop on an indirect flight from India to Canada.