Job After MS in Cyber Security: 10 Steps to 100% Clarity
Cyber crime rates are alarmingly high, with the Education/Research industry falling prey to the most number of cyber attacks.
This means you’re guaranteed to get a job after MS in Cyber Security.
As the cyber crime rate increases, so does the need for cyber security professionals.
But it is still natural for graduates to be anxious about their employment. We’re here to ease your worries and hopefully, point you in the right direction. (Read More: Guide to Cyber Security Jobs)
In this article, you will learn:
- 10 Steps to Take After Earning Your MS in Cyber Security Degree
- MS in Cyber Security: Program Overview
- NJIT’s Job Placement Assistance
- Scope of Cyber Security in USA
- Top Cyber Security Companies to Work for in 2023
- Employment Opportunities After MS in Cyber Security – Statistics
10 Steps to Take After Earning Your MS in Cyber Security Degree
Your degree alone may help you get a good job. Still, you can follow these steps to secure your chances at a job after MS in Cyber Security.
- Update your resume: Highlight relevant skills and experience gained during your program. And make sure it’s crisp and concise.
- Network professionally: Attend industry events and conferences, join professional organizations, and connect with professionals in the field on LinkedIn.
- Apply for internships: Look for internships or co-op opportunities for practical experience and valuable connections.
- Research potential employers: Look for companies that have a focus on cyber security and research their culture, values, and hiring practices.
- Prepare for interviews: Practice answering common cyber security interview questions. Be ready to talk about your experience and skills.
- Gain new technical skills: Cyber security is a constantly evolving field. Remember to stay up to date with the latest technologies and tools.
- Build a portfolio: Develop a portfolio of your work to showcase your technical skills and experience to potential employers.
- Consider certification: Consider obtaining cyber security certifications such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), or CompTIA Security+ to demonstrate your expertise.
- Start your own cyber security company: If you’re keen on becoming an entrepreneur, this is a good option for you. Research the market, seek advice from mentors, and build a business plan.
- Stay connected with professors and colleagues: Your alma mater can help you secure jobs, and offer advice on career paths. Attend alumni events to remain engaged with professors and colleagues.
MS in Cyber Security: Top Universities
The following universities offer excellent programs in MS in Cyber Security:
- University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
- Tufts University
- George Washington University
- New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
1. University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
There are a plethora of cyber security jobs in USA for Indians. And this program gears every student for these jobs.
UC Berkeley’s MS in Cyber Security program provides students with a strong foundation in cybersecurity principles. They also ensure that students have hands-on experience with cutting-edge technologies and tools, and enable them to develop skills in a variety of topics such as cryptography, network security, digital forensics, and cyber policy.
2. Tufts University
The curriculum includes courses in foundational cybersecurity concepts, as well as more advanced topics such as cyber intelligence and cyber warfare.
Students get the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through internships and research projects. They can choose to specialize in areas such as digital forensics, secure software development, or cybersecurity policy.
3. George Washington University
The field of cyber security is constantly evolving. And George Washington’s MS in Cyber Security program aims to provide students with the skills needed to excel in this rapidly growing field.
Students may participate in hands-on learning experiences, such as cyber range exercises, and work on real-world cybersecurity projects. The curriculum covers a wide range of topics, including cybersecurity fundamentals, network security, cyber threat intelligence, digital forensics, and more.
4. New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
The New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) offers an excellent MS in Cyber Security program.
This program prepares students for top Cyber Security careers in the USA. Students can choose from a variety of core courses and electives that allow specializations in malware analysis, cloud security, cyber threat intelligence, and more. Their top-notch internships and projects also give students all the hands-on experience they need for several roles in the growing field of cyber security.
For help applying to your university of choice, reach out to us at GradRight!
Scope of Cyber Security in USA
The scope of Cyber Security in USA is broad. It has grown to be a major aspect of national security.
Some industries covered by cyber security in the USA are:
The scope of cybersecurity in the USA also includes addressing emerging threats like:
- supply chain attacks
- and social engineering
There is even a growing focus on protecting personal data privacy and on the risks of using connected devices such as the Internet of Things (IoT).
Because new threats are emerging regularly, the demand for cybersecurity is ever-growing. With cooperation among government agencies, private organizations, and individuals, the country can have a strong cybersecurity ecosystem in place.
Top Cyber Security Companies to Work for in 2023
Students can apply for a job after MS in Cyber Security at the following companies:
Source: January 10, 2023
Employment Opportunities After MS in Cyber Security – Statistics
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment in the field of cybersecurity is expected to grow 35% from 2021 to 2031. This is a lot faster than the average for all occupations.
The reason for this growth? An increasing need for organizations to protect their computer networks and systems from cyberattacks.
In May 2020, the median annual wage for information security analysts was $103,590 per year. The highest 10% earned more than $156,580 per year, while the lowest 10% earned less than $57,040 per year.
We also found over 35,000 jobs in Cyber Security in the USA on LinkedIn. So, you have no reason to worry about job availability.
Did we manage to build your confidence in the Cyber Security job market? We hope so.
There isn’t a shortage of cyber security jobs in USA for indians. And your degree has great weightage in the market. You’re bound to get a job after MS in Cyber Security – one that aligns with your skills, in no time.