Why Indian Students Should Study Masters in Canada?
Canada has become one of the most chosen destinations for Indian students to Canada.
From January to September 2021, 1,15,000 Indian students went to Canada to study for their masters.
That is a number that continues to grow as we speak.
In this article, we have shed some light on the benefits of doing Masters in Canada for Indian students and the steps to get there.
Let’s start taking a look at the four major advantages that Canada-bound Indian students can enjoy.
1. Tuition Fees For MS in Canada are Affordable
The first thing an Indian student thinks about before thinking of studying abroad is calculating the fees.
As most (if not all) students take loans to study in Canada or the US, affordability is central to all decisions.
The average tuition fees per year while doing MS in Canada is around ₹11 lakhs. In the US it is ₹15 lakhs. The difference is huge especially if you are from a middle-class family to complete your studies.
Keep in mind that it is the average figure and varies from college to college.
SelectRight will help you find the college that costs you the lowest.
Searching for the right college that is not hard on your budget can be a difficult and time-consuming process. Going through multiple blog posts and videos to find the right college to do your masters in Canada is tiring and frustrating.
On top of that, many of those posts and videos are sponsored by colleges that will not tell you the whole story.
SelectRight will give you a list of colleges to choose from based on your budget. All you have to do is answer a few simple questions and we will show you the institutes that fit all your criteria.
2. Higher Acceptance Ratio of International Students
The best universities in Canada have an acceptance rate of 30%.
No, we are not joking.
The University of British Columbia is regarded as one of the best universities in the world and it has an acceptance rate of over 50%. There are many other colleges and universities in Canada where the acceptance rate is even higher.
That means you won’t have to spend a lot by applying to a lot of colleges. Meritorious students just need to pick a college and send their applications.
SelectRight helps Indian students select the right university/college for MS in Canada.
With many great options available, it can be challenging to find a college that is perfect for you. Going through multiple websites can be tiring. But you can skip all of that once you create your account on SelectRight and let us know your preferences.
We will show you a list of colleges you can choose from.
If the cost of the study is too high, we will help you secure a low-interest loan with no collateral.
3. Cost Of Living In Canada
Another great plus of doing your Masters in Canada is living in an affordable country. Compared to the US, the cost of living in Canada is quite low. For instance, the monthly cost of living in New York is around ₹1.04 lakhs but it is ₹77,000 for Toronto. Both figures are without rent.
You can save a lot of money if you choose to study in Canada this way too. For a short duration, this amount might not matter much, but over two years you would have saved ₹6 lakhs.
It can be difficult to estimate how much savings you can look forward to in house rent because it depends on many factors. However, you can consider that rent in Canada is lower too.
4. Work Visa and Permanent Residency after Masters in Canada for Indian Students
In the age of globalization, every country is a potential home. It is not uncommon for many Indian students to settle abroad after getting a good job. As the US is making its immigration policies stringent, Canada is now the next best destination.
Canada has also made it easy for its businesses and organizations to hire foreigners permanently and has an ever-increasing “demand list”. The demand list has the professions for which work visa or permanent residency could be given.
There are a lot of benefits of getting permanent residency in Canada.
- It will be easier for you to get Canadian citizenship.
- You can invite your family from India and have them stay with you.
- Moving to a different province and buying property is a viable option.
- You can start your own business in Canada if you want to.
- There are a lot of social benefits, like free education and universal healthcare.
- You will be closer to the USA and can drive there if you want to.
Now that you have known about the benefits of studying in Canada, let’s take a look at how you can find the perfect college for you.
How To Choose A College In Canada For MS for Indians?
Focus on the following criteria to land the perfect college to do your masters in Canada.
Based on job opportunities, salaries, and interest in the subject you should choose your specialization. Here are the most sought-after fields in Canadian universities and colleges by Indian students and the average salaries in those fields.
Available Scholarships for Indian Students
Scholarships are a lifesaver if your finances are limited. Luckily, Canadian universities and colleges offer a lot of scholarships. Here are the top five scholarships that you can apply for if you plan to study in Canada.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship: The applicants should have been offered a degree from the University of Toronto. The scholarship amount ranges from CAD 10k-30k.
- JN Tata Endowment Scholarship: This scholarship has been helping Indian students since 1892 and has helped over 5400 students. The scholarship amount is in the range of CAD 2k-19k.
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship: The scholarship is given on the basis of a 50% grant and 50% loan basis. It is extremely competitive to get and only meritorious students get through. The amount depends on factors like college and the cost of study.
- Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship: It is awarded to meritorious students studying in Quebec. It is a government-based fund and the amount can be as high as CAD 25k.
- Graduate Dean’s Entrance Scholarship: The amount of the scholarship is CAD 5000 and is relatively easy to get. It is allocated annually and is only given to the incoming students of the University of British Columbia.
The fact is looking for a scholarship that you qualify for is difficult.
You have to watch multiple videos, read many blog articles, and write countless emails to college boards to know if you are eligible. Even after all that, there is no guarantee if you will get it for studying Masters in Canada.
That’s right. All you need to do is answer a few simple questions so that we know what you are looking for. After analyzing your profile, we will send you the list of colleges where you get the highest scholarships.
Through our help, you can save yourself lots of time and know with certainty how much financial help you can get.
Now let’s take a look at the steps to get admission to a Canadian university.
How To Get Admission To A Canadian University For Masters?
There are three simple steps.
- Make sure that you are eligible
- Gather the relevant documents
- Select colleges and apply
The steps, although simple, is quite tedious and lengthy and will take a lot of time. Furthermore, there is a high chance of errors because you have to focus on multiple things like loans, scholarships, etc.
SelectRight makes your application process to study Masters in Canada as easy as A-B-C.
All you need to do is create your account and we will do the rest. Just let us know your details and we will filter out the best options for you.
Applying to different colleges and taking a look at their “eligibility criteria” can be cumbersome. Then you have to think of the finances. Finally, you have to start sending out applications. By the end, all the excitement to join your new college would have faded.
Let us help you. We will do all the hard work while you relax and plan your future.
Here are the outlines of the steps in the application procedures.
- Have a GPA of equal to or above 3.0 or equivalent during your undergrad studies.
- Good scores in qualifying tests like GRE. Although it depends on your university and field of choice.
- High scores in language proficiency tests.
Note: Please take a look at the college’s own eligibility criteria to avoid any complicacies further down the road.
Academic Documents (these documents are mandatory for every applicant):
- Undergrad college certificate
- Marksheet of all semesters
- Certificates of language proficiency tests
- Scorecards of qualifying tests
- Work experience certificates (if you have work experience)
Profile Documents (these documents might not be mandatory but enhance your profile):
- Statement of purpose
- Recommendation letters
- Portfolio (your previous work, e.g. designs, articles)
- Extra-curricular activities recognition letters or certificates (if any)
Financial Documents (in case you are applying for a scholarship or a loan):
- Bank statements
- Tax details
- Clearance letters from banks regarding standing loans
- Property details (for collateral loans)
Top Colleges To Do Masters In Canada For Indian Students
That’s A Wrap
If you made it so far, congratulations.
You are one step closer to studying Masters in Canada.
We have helped countless students get into their dream colleges in Canada to get into their dream universities and colleges. Not only that, but we also helped them secure the highest scholarships.
We can help you too.
Create a profile and we will send you a list of colleges and universities that would be best for you.
What are you waiting for?