4 Top Universities in Toronto — a Complete Guide
The Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that 156,171 Indian students received study permits to study in Canada in 2022. The number has almost doubled from 76,149 students in 2020.
A large section of these students prefers the top universities in Toronto.
Why the demand to study in colleges in Toronto, Canada?
Three principal reasons:
1. Toronto houses 3 of the top 500 universities in the World. The universities are the University of Toronto (QS World University Ranking 26), the Ontario College of Art and Design University (QS World University Ranking 101-150), and York University (QS World University Ranking 494).
2. The Canadian government allows International students to work up to 20 hours each week to support their studies.
3. The Economist rated Toronto as the 4th best livable city in the world.
However, how to choose a college that suits your needs? Sifting through the random (or often worse, misinformed) articles out on the internet or listening to your uncle’s biased advice can make you overwhelmed.
That’s what this article will help you with. In the next five minutes, this guide will shed light on:
● The 4 top universities in Toronto
● Information on courses, acceptance rates, tuition fees, and ranking of each university
● An FAQ section
However, you might stillbe confused after reading this article. That’s when you’ll need AI by your side. That’s when you’ll need SelectRight.
More on SelectRight later. Back to the top universities in Toronto for now.
Note: the information is true at the time of writing. That’s May 2022.
4 top universities in Toronto
1. University of Toronto
The University of Toronto — founded in 1827 — ranked first in Canada in all 5 of the broad subject categories evaluated in the QS World University Rankings by subject 2022.
RankingThe University of Toronto boasts of a QS World University Ranking of 26.
2. Ryerson UniversityRyerson University — currently known as Toronto Metropolitan University — is one of the top colleges in Toronto, Canada. The university’s notable alumni include data analyst Joanna Kader, actress Nina Dobrev, and actress Shay Mitchell. You must score at least 80 in TOEFL and 6.5 in IELTS to get admission into the university.
The university offers over 100 undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate programs. Some of the popular courses include:
● Master of Science in Data Science and Analytics
● Master of Engineering in Industrial and Mechanical Engineering
● Master of Science in Computer Science
● Media Production
● Engineering and Architectural Sciences
45,000 students study at the university representing over 146 countries; thereby making the university one of the top universities in Toronto.
Furthermore, the university has 910 full-time faculties. The number leads to a faculty-student ratio of 28.
Ryerson University has an acceptance rate of 25%.
Tuition fees vary based on your chosen program. However, expect to pay up to $38,457 for undergraduate programs as an international student. Furthermore, expect to pay up to $25,000 for graduate programs.
The QS World University Ranking ranked Ryerson University between 801 and 1,000.
3. York University
One of the best universities in Toronto for international students, York University is also the second-largest university in Ontario. The Times Higher Education Impact Rankings placed the university in the 33rd position for meeting the UN’s sustainable development goals.
● Fine Arts
Over 5,000 international students study at the university at both graduate and undergraduate levels representing more than 178 countries.
Furthermore, the university offers 28 research centres and 11 faculties including:
● School of the Arts, Media, Performance, and Design
● Lassonde School of Engineering
● Schulich School of Business
● Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
● Glendon College
York University has a 27% acceptance rate.
The tuition fees depend upon the program you choose. However, expect to pay up to $37,345.
Furthermore, expect to pay up to $34,000 for other related expenses including textbooks, accommodation, meal plans, health and dental care, and personal expenses.
York University boasts of a QS World University Ranking of 494.
4. Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD+) University
The OCAD University is one of the top colleges in Toronto, Canada if you want to pursue Arts. Founded in 1876, the university is the largest and oldest art and design university in Canada as well.
The university offers 17 undergraduate and 7 graduate programs. Some of the most popular courses include:
● Drawing and painting
● Graphics Design
● Industrial Design
● Environmental Design
4,423 undergraduate and 219 graduate students currently study at the university of which 996 are international students; thereby making the percentage 21%. The international students represent more than 50 countries.
The Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD) University has an acceptance rate between 40% to 50%.
The tuition fees vary depending on the program you choose. However, expect to pay up to $32,432 as an international student.
The QS World University Ranking ranked the OCAD university between 101 and 150.
1. How many universities are there in Toronto?
Toronto houses 4 publicly-funded universities.
2. What’s the acceptance rate of top colleges in Toronto, Canada?
The acceptance rate varies among top colleges in Toronto, Canada.
For example, the University of Toronto has a 43% acceptance rate while York University has a 27% acceptance rate.
3. Can you work part-time along with your studies?
Yes. The Canadian government allows international students to work up to 20 hours each week alongside their studies.
4. What’s the cost of education in Toronto?
The cost varies depending upon your university, your lifestyle, and the mode of transportation you must take.
However, expect to pay up to CAD 42,000 for tuition fees, up to CAD 750 a month for accommodation, and up to CAD 100 each month for transportation.
Note: the numbers are indicative and can vary in real-life scenarios.
5. What are the top universities in Toronto for international students?
Some of the top universities in Toronto are:
● University of Toronto
● York University
● Ryerson University
6. What kind of language skills will I need to get admission into universities in Toronto?
TOEFL and IELTS scores. The minimum marks you need vary for each university.
7. Are there any additional requirements international students must fulfill to get admission to universities in Toronto?
International students must submit a personal statement about why they think they’re fit to get admission to their chosen university and an essay. The students must submit documents that prove their work experience if they claim to have any.
Furthermore, reference letters and extracurricular activity certificates can add to the application as well.
8. Are there any scholarships available for Indian students to study in Canada?
You can check out this article to know about the available scholarships for Indian students who wish to study in Canada.
Top universities in Toronto — SelectRight is the ‘right’ way to choose
The article shares all the essential information you need to know about the 10 top universities in Toronto. However, you want more than one article and biased advice from your uncle. You can have it; with SelectRight.
On SelectRight, we offer:
● AI-based tools to recommend colleges based upon analyzing 6 million data points across more than 10,000 STEM, MBA, and CS programs.
● Guidance on SOP review, LOR review, and application review from our education experts.
● Current and relevant advice from present students and alumni of your chosen college.
Write to our education and finance advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org to know more.