University Of Calgary: A Definitive Guide For International Students
The University of Calgary is one of Canada’s top-ranked research-based universities with 360 new inventions and innovations against its name since 2017.
Ranked 8th nationally by the Times Higher Education in 2020, the institution is home to over 250 programs and has a graduate employment rate of 94.1%.
The University of Calgary stands out among Canadian universities in how it actively engages students in leadership development and is recognized worldwide for its research breakthroughs in several areas, including arts, athletics, science, medicine, engineering, volunteerism and business.
Why Should You Study At The University Of Calgary?
The University of Calgary offers students who wish to study in Canada an unprecedented educational experience combining academics, research and student life.
- It has a diverse range of academic programs and graduate options to help you gain the knowledge and skills you need to pursue your career
- The campus is home to a range of student services for you and your family, such as the First-Year Centre, Parent-Child Centre, First-Year Orientation, Sport and Recreation, Wellness, Student Activities and International Programs.
- Its popular inter-campus programs include the Traditional Engineering Summer Session (TEES) that allows high school students to experience university life.
- Undergraduate students and graduate students have access to over $35 million in funding and resources.
Graduate Employability At The University Of Calgary
- UCalgary graduates have a 94.1% employment rate after graduation with over 90% finding full-time jobs and over 80% of employed grads working in fields related to the discipline.
- In the area of advanced engineering, over 73% of graduates find employment in industry, with numerous positions available in Alberta and across the globe.
- In the field of science, over 57% of graduates find employment in industry or continue with post-secondary education or university studies, while 38% pursue post-secondary education in the health sector or practice health care.
- As per the most recent report, UCalgary maintains its rank at no. 7 nationally among 18 Canadian universities in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022.
- The institute also saw increases in four of the five indicator scores, with an impressive jump in the ‘Graduate Employment Rate’ score which increased by 43 per cent compared with the previous year results.
Faculty At The University Of Calgary
The institution is a favored destination for those who want to study in Canada. It boasts having over 30,000 students, 1,800+ academic staff and 14 faculties including the following:
- Faculty of Arts
- School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Law
- Schulich School of Engineering
- Faculty of Science
Details about other faculties could be found here.
Campus Life At The University Of Calgary
- As a public post-secondary institution, the University of Calgary is open for enrollment 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- It features a state-of-the-art campus that is home to almost 30,000 students.
- This includes the MacKimmie School of Business which is ranked number one in Canada in entrepreneurship by the University of Toronto, as well as numerous state-of-the-art labs.
- Calgary is known for its low-rise downtown area, with apartment buildings lining the downtown area and the hill communities of the university district.
- The town is surrounded by mountain ranges, rural areas and nature trails, and is home to the Calgary Zoo.
- The city is a transportation hub, being a gateway to several surrounding mountain towns and cities such as Banff, Canmore, Canmore and Lake Louise.
Application Process For International Students
Most graduate programs require a minimum of 3.0 CGPA, a minimum GRE of >309, an IELTS score of a minimum of 6.5. (and a GMAT of >600 for an MBA degree)
The application process for international students is the same as that for domestic students (mentioned below) with an additional requirement:
- Gather the required documentation based on your program, followed by references.
- Create an eId to begin the application.
- Submit your application by paying $145.
- As an international student, you will need to provide your immigration status and would need to indicate that you’re on a study permit.
For more information, you can refer here.
All international students who want to fulfill their wish to study in Canada at University of Calgary need to submit the following documents as part of their application process:
- Official Transcripts
- Reference letters
- Study proposal
- Writing sample (if applicable)
- Standardized tests
- Document translation (if your documents are not in English)
- Program documents
Scholarships & Awards For International Students
International students could explore the following Awards options:
- Alberta Innovates Graduate Student Scholarships program
- Alberta Graduate Excellence Scholarship (AGES)
- Delta Kappa Gama
- Entrance Awards
- Graduate Award Competition
- International Graduate Tuition Award
- Mackenzie King
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS)
Students fully funded by a third party sponsor, including government funding, are not eligible for University of Calgary awards under the Graduate Award Regulation.
For more awards and scholarships, you can refer here.
Calgary City: Quick Highlights
- 4th largest city in Canada
- 3rd most diverse city in Canada
- The most liveable city in North America, 5th worldwide
- The youngest population of major cities in Canada
- #3 educational attainment in Canada
- Largest urban pathway network in North America
- Highest concentration of corporate head offices per capita in Canada
- Home to Canada’s National Music Centre and the internationally renowned Calgary Stampede
- Most patents per capita in Canada
- Energy capital of Canada and global finance hub
How Can GradRight Help You Study In Canada?
With Canada reopening more airports to international flights starting today i.e. November 30th, 2021, more and more international students would opt for studying in Canada.
You might be aware of GradRight’s World’s first education loan bidding platform, FundRight, which has helped students save more than 112 crores so far by providing cost-effective education loans.
Now, we can help you tackle another important problem in the international education space; shortlisting and selecting the right university.
Shortlisting the right university for you (probably, it is The University of Calgary) involves looking beyond just rankings.
You need to look at other factors too like the location of the university, course ranking, alumni success rate, graduate employability, tuition fees, living expenses and career opportunities just to name a few.
And the process might look daunting at first glance.
Well, who are we kidding? It indeed is a daunting task.
But every modern problem requires a modern solution and that’s exactly what GradRight has come up with; SelectRight, a data-driven matchmaking platform that enables you to select, shortlist and apply to the right universities that are best suited for your profile based on your preferences.
You are in luck because the platform (currently) helps students find the right US and Canadian Universities and best of all, it’s a free-to-use platform.
Click on SelectRight below to get started!