USC Viterbi School Of Engineering: A Definitive Guide To High Potential Non-CS STEM Programs
Founded in 1905, the USC Viterbi School of Engineering is named after Andrew Viterbi who cofounded Qualcomm Inc. and invented the Viterbi Algorithm.
The school, located in Los Angeles, a global centre for arts, technology and international business in the heart of the Pacific Rim, is a hub for entrepreneurship that connects students from 64 countries.
With technology, Innovation & Entrepreneurship at the heart of USC Viterbi School of Engineering, it is on a mission to:
- Educate engineers on strategies to invent, develop, integrate, and sustain technologies that address significant needs
- Launch ventures with meaningful social and economic impact
- Promote an ethical and inclusive technology innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem
In this Covid affected world, it is vital for individuals from the growing Indian economy to look to courses that are inter-disciplinary, industry-focused, with a wide variety of applications to adapt to any change and can make a difference in the lives of upcoming generations as well.
USC Viterbi - General FAQs
What are the application deadlines?
The Spring 2021 deadline is January 15, 2022.
Is GRE required?
As of September 7, 2021, the GRE exam is not required.
What impact does work experience have on the application?
- Except for our MS in Systems Architecting & Engineering, work experience is not required for admission and is not an application criterion. Also, work experience cannot substitute for academic coursework in case of Non-CS Stem Programs.
- However, work experience information can be included as part of the résumé/CV.
Can I apply to more than one program?
- You may apply for a maximum of three graduate programs across the entire university in a given admission cycle. Only one set of transcripts and test scores need to be submitted regardless of the number of programs selected.
- The USC Viterbi School Of Engineering allows applicants to apply for two graduate engineering programs with a single application fee of $90. We provide this benefit primarily for students who are interested in applying for both a Master’s and a Doctoral Program, but it can be used for applying to any two Viterbi graduate programs.
- To apply for an additional program, a unique SECOND PROGRAM APPLICATION FEE WAIVER code must be provided by the USC Graduate Admissions office and must be entered into the online application.
High Potential Non-CS STEM Programs
Health Care Data Science
- Data science for addressing healthcare needs is an increasingly important area for creating novel devices, advancing biomedical research, and developing innovative processes that require integrative approaches linking data systems, analytics, business processes and decision support.
- The Master of Science in Health Care Data Science is a cross-disciplinary joint degree program offered by the Keck School of Medicine and the Viterbi School of Engineering.
- The MS in Engineering Management program (MSEMT) at USC Viterbi School Of Engineering is designed for students to prepare them for management responsibilities. As an MSEMT student, you will learn how to lead technology projects as well as manage teams, engineering functions, and companies.
- More than just theory, the MSEMT program offers real-world examples provided by instructors who have years of relevant industry experience.
- This is also a suitable program to help prospective technical entrepreneurs understand the enterprise creation process.
Product Development Engineering
- The MS in Product Development Engineering is an interdisciplinary degree program jointly offered by the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering and the Daniel J. Epstein Industrial and Systems Engineering Departments.
- The ever-increasing demands for product functions, coupled with low cost, high quality, and short lead-time requirements have made product development a very complex and inter-disciplinary activity. There exists a great human resource need in the areas of new product developments.
Civil Engineering- Advanced Design and Construction Technology
- USC Viterbi School Of Engineering offers a new program in Advanced Design & Construction Technology which is a multi-disciplinary program that aims to develop professionals to think holistically about design and engineering of sustainable cities, infrastructure, buildings, and systems of the future.
- ADCT graduates will pave the way in design, engineering, construction, management and leadership roles in the built environment.
Health Systems Management Engineering
The MS in Health Systems Management Engineering prepares students for careers in the healthcare industry. This degree is for students with a background in sciences, engineering, or applied social science.
They will be expected to be agents of change and providers of training themselves. The degree leads to increasing technical or management responsibilities in health care organizations, particularly hospitals, and consulting.
The MS in Health Systems Management Engineering prepares students to tackle important issues within the healthcare industry by increasing their knowledge and skills in:
- Healthcare information systems
- Quality management
- Supply chain improvement
- Hospital efficiency improvement
Industrial & Systems Engineering
- As an MSISE student, you will be broadly educated in all aspects of technical enterprises.
- The MSISE program is excellent preparation for industrial engineering program graduates who want to acquire substantial depth concerning industrial engineering methods and the theory of the firm.
Cyber Security Engineering
- The Master of Science in Cyber Security Engineering degree focuses on the fundamentals of developing, engineering and operating secure information systems.
- The curriculum fosters an understanding on how to develop a security policy and how policy drives technology decisions.
- Students will be well versed in the challenges and problems of secure operating systems, secure applications, secure networking, use of cryptography, and key management.
Energy and Sustainability
- The USC Viterbi School of Engineering sponsors the Green Technologies degree program without exclusive ties to any particular department.
- This allows students to form plans of study that accommodate diverse engineering perspectives in support of unique and challenging career opportunities.
- Students also benefit from numerous green and sustainable projects throughout the Los Angeles region.
- The Environmental Engineering Program has grown to include water and wastewater engineering, air pollution control, water quality control, solid and hazardous waste management, energy, and the environment.
- Students are trained for positions as consulting engineers, environmental affairs engineers for large companies, or officials in state or federal agencies.
- Several industries and corporations stress over corporate social responsibility and meeting sustainability and environmental protection goals in the coming years.
- This program can enable you to gain skills that are rare in the market for which the demand will be rising.
- This multidisciplinary education program involves the Viterbi School of Engineering, the Marshall School of Business and the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences (Department of Economics).
- Financial engineering uses tools from finance and economics, engineering, applied mathematics, and statistics to address problems such as dynamic investment strategies, risk management, etc.
- Graduates with these skills are of interest to investment and commercial banks, trading companies, hedge funds, insurance companies etc.
Public Policy Data Science
The MS in Public Policy and Data Science builds unique proficiencies with an emphasis on public policy and teaches you to leverage data science to:
- Increase transparency and accountability.
- Improve the efficiency and quality of services.
- Enhance security and address matters of defense and intelligence.
- Oversee emergency management.
- Influence policy and the policy-making process broadly.
Environmental Data Science
The curriculum is designed to prepare individuals to develop and use sophisticated analytical and computer-based methods to assess and protect the Earth’s natural resources.
The USC Masters of Science in Environmental Data Science would provide students with the knowledge and skills to:
- Work at the intersection of interdisciplinary fields of environmental science and data science.
- Leverage data to form and frame relevant questions in environmental management and sustainability, identify patterns, and make actionable insights.
- Understand the use of emerging technologies in data science and their application.
- Efficiently integrate data science approaches and systems to analyze real-world environmental data.
Analytics (Industrial & Systems Engineering)
- MS Analytics is designed for students with interest in deepening their background in data science, statistics, and math.
- In the program the students learn the skills needed to succeed as data analysts and data scientists including the abilities to summarize and present complex data, to apply machine learning methods to predict the result of different complex scenarios and to convert the data into actionable insights.
Emerging STEM Programs & Post-Covid Innovations
- The post-pandemic will call for individuals who are bold, innovative, and independent thinkers to meet the demand of the rapidly evolving economy.
- The pandemic has affected the world on a global scale.
A delayed shipment of a turbine generator in Singapore will affect the prices of commodities in Australia.
- Multiple industries are coming together to solve challenging problems in the Covid affected world and employers are actively seeking individuals with a mixed yet unique skillset to perform certain niche functions.
- Developing new products (Product Development Engineering) is the essence of human intelligence in general, and engineering professions in particular. The growth of our economy has been largely determined by the engineer’s performance and effectiveness in new product developments.
How Can GradRight Help?
- GradRight is hosting a free interactive-much webinar with the USC Viterbi School of Engineering where we discuss and answer your questions about emerging courses that have a high potential to make a difference and inspire change in the post-Covid world.
- Additionally, the university will announce scholarships exclusive to these courses in the webinar as an added bonus.
- Also, our financial partner, IDFC First Bank, will be present and he is going to help you understand education loans, eligibility and requirements for non-collateral/unsecured loans and answer your questions regarding funding your higher education.
The webinar takes place on the 4th of January at 6:30 PM IST.
Click on the “Register Now” button below to get started!